Friday, May 9, 2014

Tyra Banks' Flawsome Ball 2014 was FLAWLESS!

What can I say about Tyra Banks' Flawsome Ball!? It was well...FLAWLESS! After graduating from the TZONE program and being the FIRST generation of Lower Eastside Girls Club members to do so, it was an HONOR to get an award on behalf of our participation. This year, no rehearsal was necessary because every time we see Tyra, or B.B.Q. which is her nickname (ha!) we have our personalized chant as a group which goes a little something like this:

"MY TZONE SISTA, WHATS UP, WHATS UP, WHAT UP?!

I GOT YOUR BACK GURL, YOU KNOW I'LL BACK YOU UP
I'LL BE THERE FOR YOU, NO IFS, NO ANDS, OR BUTS!

MY TZONE SISTA WHATS UP, WHATS UP, WHATS UP!?"

My personal nickname in the group is Turquoise Waterfalls, because that's my favorite color and because I am a flower child that LOVES the woods with waterfalls! I LOVE the juicy contradiction of myself being a girl who's not afraid to get dirty-the one who yearns for hiking, kayaking, and swimming across lakes, as she does for sparkly high heels, an amazing lip stick shade, and matching earrings for my dress!

Right before we got up on stage, we had beautiful discussions about why we're feminists in our dressing room (UMMM, hello, how could one NOT be :) ?!) and then we got dressed up and got SO fancy, Drake was inspired by us to write his song, "Oh you fancy huh?!" I know, I'm a cheese ball, but hey, that IS what happened, ESPECIALLY when he got to meet us last year when he rapped for the FIRST Flawsome Ball!

We then went around and mingled and told everybody our dreams, and lets just say my pitch was long :)
I dream of becoming an actress, journalist and activist for women's rights and immigration reform,
and YES I WILL do ALL three! Just watch me!
#IWOKEUPLIKETHIS #FLAWLESS
Hope you're appreciating all my Beyonce references! I know I am, since I've only been listening to the album for a good ol' STRAIGHT 4 months now ;) Speaking of which, it's finals week currently in my college and recently for my Media Studies class, I created a group for our final paper that dissected and analyzed how Beyonce as a feminist empowers women and at the same time perpetuates gender role stereotypes in our hegemonic society. My part of the paper was to speak about the stigma behind feminism, and I can't wait for you guys to read it!
 Stay tuned because shortly I'll post up my section of the paper!















 





































No comments:

Post a Comment